Thursday, April 26, 2007

Alll Gods Are Bastards!

Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
-- Terry Pratchett, The Color of Magic

I'm arguing with my committee right now about the title of my thesis. I want to call it All Gods are Bastards: The war between religion and spirituality in America.

You see, when you study it, you'll notice that like bastard children, the Gods themselves (in the various myths) tend to move outside of Law and Society. The rules don't apply to them so much, and I see an increasing tendency on the part of those in the US with religion to fall either on the side of Religion (Law) or Spirituality (Outside Law).

'Course they're hung up on the word "bastard". I don't get it. Do a search on thesis titles and you get some of the most amazing stuff.

I weep.

No comments: